Guide to local elections: Republican Edition

This time of the year, busy street corners are covered in signs for local elections.

However, who are the candidates running for local office this year? What are the platforms they’re running on?

Here are profiles of some of the candidates from the Republican Party that we were able to contact.
    State Representative Duane Milne, Ph.D: Running for Reelection
    Representing Malvern Borough, Willistown, East and West Whiteland, West Pikeland, Charlestown, and Easttown, Dr. Duane Milne is currently in his fifth term in the Pennsylvania State Legislature, and will be running for a sixth in November 2016.

Before becoming a State Representative, Dr. Milne taught at West Chester University, and was an election committeeman in Chester County for 20 years, and for Pennsylvania for 10 years after that.

Milne is taking a hard stance on Gov. Tom Wolf’s proposed Property Tax Relief Plan, stating that it was a tax shift, and not tax relief. “It is a tax shift that will be done on the backs of many families, including many families here in Chester County,” Milne said in a video on his website.

While again it is too early to say for sure, Milne said his stance on the Governor’s plan will matter in the election. “I have a lot of constituents who are for the plan, but many others who are against it, and many who are undecided,” he said in an interview with the The Blackfriar Chronicle. “We’ll just have to see how it plays out.”
    State Representative Warren Kampf: Running for Reelection
    Running for his third term in November 2016 representing Phoenixville, Norriton and Tredyffrin Township, Representative Warren Kampf co-chairs the House Life Science Committee, as well as on the Appropriations, Liquor Control, Consumer Affairs, and Urban Affairs Committees.

Kampf is the only freshman legislator to co-chair a House Committee, and is pushing for a privatization of Pennsylvania’s liquor stores.

“[Privatizing] stores will bring a whole new channel of revenue for the state,” Kampf said. “And today, Pennsylvania could use anything it can get.”

Kampf has also repeatedly opposed the budget plans put forward by Democratic Governor Tom Wolf, because it will result in a $20 million tax increase in the 157th District, which he represents.

“This tax will cripple the 157th District,” Kampf said. “And the people will see little to nothing for it.”

The budget impasse has ramifications in daily life, but a prominent one is that PA school districts have no state funding. They still receive funding from their school district

While schools in poorer districts have had to go take out lines of credit for funding, Kampf said that schools in the 157th District have not had to do so.

“Schools in the 157th District, while not having as bad effects as an urban or rural area, are beginning to feel effects of the impasse,” he said.

State Representative Becky Corbin: Running for Reelection

Running for her 3rd term representing Pennsylvania’s 157th Legislative District, State Representative Becky Corbin serves on the House Health, Urban Affairs, Liquor Control, and Environmental Resources and Energy Committees.

She is not concerned about reelection at this moment, saying, “I have to help govern a state. When it comes time to campaign, I’ll do it then.”

Corbin has said that she believes that her stances on liquor privatization and pension reform will be in the voters’ minds, and has pledged not to support any budget proposal from Governor Wolf if it does not touch those two issues.

“Moving the pension system from a defined benefit system to a defined contribution system is much more prudent,” she said. “Private businesses in Pennsylvania made the move 20 years ago, why is the state so far behind?”

Corbin also stressed the importance of local elections. “We have people saying that they are a good voter, and so when we look at their voting records, we see only a vote for president every four years. Local offices like County Commissioner affect your daily life much more than Congress or the President ever could.”

State Senator John Rafferty: Running for Attorney General

One of the three Republican candidates for Attorney General, and representing Pennsylvania’s 44th Senatorial District since 2003, John Rafferty is a well-known name in Harrisburg, chairing the Senate Transportation Committee.

He also co-chairs the Judiciary Committee, and sits on the Appropriations, Consumer Protection and Professional Licensure and Law and Justice Committees.

Before coming to the State Senate, Rafferty worked as a private attorney, and was Deputy Attorney General from 1988-1991.

“I’ve always been known as the law and order guy in the Senate,” Rafferty said. “So I guess people shouldn’t be surprised I’m running for Attorney General.”

The office of Attorney General is currently held by Democrat Kathleen Kane, who is currently being investigated on charges of perjury and obstructing justice. She is being challenged by Rafferty, State Representative Todd Stephens, and fellow Democrat Jack Stollsteimer.

“I’m looking forward to a fight from Attorney General Kane,” Rafferty said. “She’s a good campaigner, but these scandals are going to be a problem for her.”

As Attorney General, Rafferty says he will fight the growing heroin epidemic in the state, fight sex abuse, and “restore honor to the office”.
    Listed here are other Republicans running for local offices:

• Judy Olson, Mike George, Anne Covey (PA Supreme Court)
    • Emil Giordano (Superior Court Judge)
    • Paul Lalley (Judge of the Commonwealth Court)
    • Allison Bell Royer (Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, 15th Judicial District)
    • Terence Farrell, Michelle H. Kichline (Chester County Commissioner)
    • Thomas P. Hogan (Chester County District Attorney)
    • Carolyn Bunny Welsh (Chester County Sheriff)

CORRECTION: The print version of this story had Senator Rafferty’s name as Jim, when his first name is John.