Campus Hero of the Issue: Mrs. Susan Sarafinas

Learn about the Malvern Saint of College Admissions – Mrs. Sarafinas.

Courtesy The Malvernian
Courtesy The Malvernian

“As you can see, [with everybody coming in and out], my office is like Grand Central Station,” said Mrs. Susan Sarafinas, Administrative Assistant to the Counseling Department. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Sarafinas is a hidden hero on Malvern’s campus. In her fifth year at the institution, Mrs. Sarafinas’s job as Administrative Assistant consists of all things college. In addition to aiding the twelve members of the Counseling Department at Malvern and reporting to her three immediate directors, she prioritizes preparing students and families for the college experience. Her daily tasks include sending college applications, managing college representatives’ coming to campus, helping students finalize applications, and more.

Malvern seniors would not get accepted into colleges if not for the work of Mrs. Sarafinas.

Mrs. Sarafinas regards her office in the second floor of Tolentine Hall as the Grand Central Station of Malvern Prep. Faculty members and students stop in throughout the course of the day and it is always busy.

It even served as the “pre-Learning Commons”. Students would stop by her office and utilize the large table and computers, and some even continue to do so now.

“It’s great,” Sarafinas said. “Everyone starts to feel like family.”

At home, Sarafinas is no stranger to a busy schedule. She has four children – two in high school and two in middle school – that constantly keep her moving.

In her free time, which is scarce, she loves a good book or TV series.

“[I love being] able to steer my kids in the right direction based on what I get to do with the kids at Malvern,” Sarafinas said. “Malvern is a great place to work and a fabulous community. Every day feels like the first day all over again.”