What You Missed – April 18-25, 2016

While you probably heard that Prince died, here are the other stories that got drowned out by the coverage.

[toggle title=”Obama to UK: Stay in EU” state=”close”]

In his final visit to the United Kingdom as President, Barack Obama gave his opinion on the debate over leaving the European Union, and said that it could take a decade for the US to reach a trade agreement with the UK if it left the EU.

Prime Minister David Cameron had promised a referendum on leaving the EU during the 2015 General Election, but is against the UK leaving. The campaign to leave the EU is led by head of the UK Independence Party Nigel Farage, who has called Obama the most “anti-British president in history.”

Current polling among UK residents says 52% want to remain in the EU, 43% want to leave, and 5% remain undecided.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Cleveland to pay $6 million to family over Tamir Rice killing” state=”close”]

The city of Cleveland settled with the family of Tamir Rice, a 12 year old black child shot by police, avoiding a civil rights case against the city this week.

The city will pay $3 million this year to the family, and $3 million next year. Tamir’s mother Samaria and sister Tajai will each receive $250,000 directly, with the rest going to Tamir’s estate.

According to the terms of the settlement, the city will not admit wrongdoing in the shooting, where Rice was seen brandishing a toy gun in a park.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Clinton, Sanders face off over Philly soda tax” state=”close”]

Democratic primary candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed over a tax on sugary drinks to fund universal preschool proposed by Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney.

Clinton, the frontrunner, has expressed support for the tax, saying that it was a way to get universal preschool. Sanders opposed the tax, saying that it was a tax on working families.

Kenney, a Democrat who has endorsed Clinton, expressed disappointment in Sanders siding with “greedy beverage companies” who have lobbied extensively against the tax.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Trump holds rally in West Chester” state=”close”]

Republican frontrunner Donald Trump held a rally at West Chester University on Monday before another in Wilkes-Barre in a last minute attempt to shore up support for Tuesday’s primary.

Trump spent part of the rally blasting opponents Texas Senator Ted Cruz and Ohio Governor John Kasich for striking a deal to shore up anti-Trump votes in future primaries: Cruz gets Indiana and Kasich gets Oregon and New Mexico.

The rally was not without controversy, as protesters across the street chanted “Love, not war” as supporters chanted “Build that wall”, a reference to the wall at the Mexican border that Trump said he will build if elected.

[/toggle]