What You Missed – May 9-16, 2016

This is What You Missed when recovering from the last of the AP tests.

[toggle title=”ISIS declares state of emergency in Raqqa says US” state=”close”]

The Islamic State has declared a state of emergency in its de facto capital in Raqqa, Syria on Friday, citing reports of military equipment and units moving around the city in preparation for a defense.

ISIS was back in the headlines this week as suicide bombings across Iraq killed over 115 people in different bombings.

The US is saying that the fact they are resorting to suicide bombing shows they are on the defensive, says special envoy to for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL Brett McGurk as it is “not hard” to get an operative to perform a suicide bombing.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Obama Administration mandates sweeping changes for transgender citizens” state=”close”]

President Obama ordered public schools to accommodate transgender students’ bathroom needs, even if others object, and ruled that federally funded insurers and medical providers cannot discriminate against LGBT Americans.

The Administration based its mandate for public schools on Title IX, which it says the anti-trans legislation in North Carolina is a clear violation of. It said that it is not adding requirements to existing law, but said states passing anti-trans legislation may see a reduction in federal funding.

Under a new regulation by the the Department of Health and Human Services, also added protections to Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act, which protects discrimination based on race, sex, religion, national origin, disability or age, to also include pregnancy, gender identity, or sex stereotyping.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Donald Trump, Joe Biden attend Penn graduation ceremony” state=”close”]

Vice President Joe Biden and presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump both attended the graduation ceremony at the University of Pennsylvania Sunday night: Trump for his daughter Tiffany and Biden for his granddaughter Naomi.

Federal and local law enforcement were present in large numbers at the ceremony to protect both Biden and Trump. Neither politician spoke at the ceremony, instead staying in the stands watching on as their relatives graduated.

Trump and Biden were not the only prominent politicians to attend a college graduation, as President Obama gave an address at Rutgers University in New Jersey.

[/toggle]

[toggle title=”Corruption trial for Chaka Fattah begins” state=”close”]

Chaka Fattah, the embattled congressman from Pennsylvania’s 2nd Congressional District in Philadelphia and has been accused of racketeering, appeared in court on Monday to hear opening arguments.

Fattah is accused of using federal and nonprofit funds to pay back a portion of campaign debt from his failed 2008 mayoral campaign.

Fattah had lost a primary weeks before the trial in the Pennsylvania primary to state Representative Dwight Evans by seven percent.

[/toggle]