Fantasy Football season builds unity, competition

As Malvern begins its new school year, students are beginning their quest for a Fantasy title.

fantasy

As people fold their beach chairs and purchase their school supplies, they only wish summer had lasted longer. For Fantasy Football fans however, this time of year couldn’t have come sooner.

Fantasy Football is especially popular around the Malvern campus: people will edit teams during lunch, Community Time, study hall, and in between classes. The hunger for fantasy glory fills students’ minds.

“Every year, I can not wait for the Fantasy season,” Jack Guardiola ’20 said.” I think it’s kind of fun that you can be in a league with your friends, and then I think the fact that you get to build your own team and have it be yours is very cool.”

Playing Fantasy with friends seems to be a common reason why people participate, as well as the experience of stepping into the role of general manager of your own made up NFL team. Owners can draft players, then edit their roster as the season progresses.

“I like the competition,” Jimmy Tegler, Jr. ’20 said. “I love being able to draft players as my own.” Tegler discussed how a team can really feel personally special to an owner, especially when that team is successful.

Since Fantasy Football typically involves at least 10 teams, it is considered a very social event. Fantasy Football can help strengthen the Malvern brotherhood – in more ways than you think.

Eric Villano ’20 talked about how Fantasy Football really brings people together, and that being in a league with other Malvern students helps him meet new people. Jack Guardiola, on the other hand, believes fantasy is the cradle of trash talk, banter, and bragging. “Making jokes about your friends’ teams actually helps you, you know, get closer to them,” Guardiola said.

Although it’s a bonding experience, the leagues are still meant to be competitive. Guardiola had some words of wisdom he wanted to share on how to edge out your opponent.

“Always pay attention to who is scoring on your team and adjust your rosters weekly,” he said. “Sometimes people forget and this can give you an advantage. I just hope I can follow my own advice this year.”

Even faculty know it’s that time of year. Malvern English teacher Susan Giordani shared her opinion on the yearly phenomenon.

“I’m in a league too,” Giordani said. “I have a positive perspective on fantasy football, but, you know, kids shouldn’t gamble.”