Evanfest Brings Lax Teams and Families Together for a Good Cause

Evan Brady was a Malvern Prep student just like any of us. Lacrosse was his sport and it played a huge part in his life.  But on Septe during his freshman year of high school, Evan heard the news that he had osteogenic sarcoma, a type of bone cancer usually diagnosed in young teenagers.  He would never be able to play lacrosse, the sport that he cherished, again.

For most kids this would be a devastating moment, but for Evan it was a defining moment. He seized the moment and became a coach for his teammates at Malvern. He was supported by his family, friends, coaches, teammates, and lacrosse communities across the area. Sadly, on September 21, 2005, after staying strong for four tough years, Evan lost his battle with cancer.

On Saturday April 6, Malvern Prep hosted the 7th annual Evanfest Lacrosse Tournament. The tournament features boys’ lacrosse teams from Delaware and Chester counties in the U-15 and U-13 leagues. Families and friends gathered to watch their teams fiercely compete with other teams from the area. Each team was guaranteed two games, each consisting of two 25-minute halves, and paid a $400 registration fee.

It’s truly a special event and a great time for parents, coaches, and players alike. Said Alex Reber ’17, “All of the teams in this tournament had a great time, and it was even more fun knowing that this was going to a good cause.”

Through strong support of his family, friends, and Malvern brothers, Evan will never be forgotten. The Evanfest lacrosse tournament was created to remember Evan and his spirit and battle. Today, many families suffer through the same hardships that Evan’s family did with a child with a life threatening illness, so all proceeds from the tournament go to those families.

Today, Evanfest has raised over $600,000 for 150 families with children who have a life-threatening illness. The Brady Family continue to dedicate themselves to helping these families in need while working in the spirit of Evan.