Water Polo Continues to Dominate the Pool

After a solid run through the Inter-Ac, Malvern is 13-7 overall and 4-1 in Inter-Ac play. They have won four of their past seven games, including victories against rivals Haverford and Episcopal.

They traveled to Haverford for their first Inter-Ac game. “It is always a tough place to play,” said Coach Jay Schiller. However, the Haverford faithful were quickly silenced as Malvern scored the first four goals of the game. Of the eleven goals scored by Malvern, captain Jeff Hagen had nine.

The Friars hosted Germantown Academy and cruised to a 14-7 win despite a 2-0 deficit. However, things became more difficult against Penn Charter, as they lost 10-8 despite a 7-3 lead at the half in a heartbreaking loss. They outplayed them in many aspects, having more steals and less turnovers.

Next, the team traveled to the Big Bear Tournament in Landon, where they played three games. They were short a few players due to SATs. After a loss to Naval Academy Aquatic Club (DC), they came back to shut out Gillman (MD) with three goals by Jeff Hagen and two each by Magnus Sims and Peter Calvaresi. Pat Coffey had his second shutout of his career, with the first coming last year against Friends Central. Unfortunately, they did not have much left in the tank for East Coast powerhouse Gonzaga (DC), who was playing their first game. Malvern lost 7-1.

They defeated Episcopal at home in what Mr. Schiller called a ‘dominating performance’. Magnus Sims and Jeff Hagen both had four goals, and Peter Calvaresi, senior captain Dan McGlinn, and sophomore Billy Beard had 2 each.

Most recently, Malvern dominated Haverford School for the second time in a terrific Homecoming performance. Winning 10-4 with three minutes left, the fans clapped as the seniors felt great after the team effort. Malvern won 10-7.

Hopefully the team can build on their success for the second round of Inter-Ac opponents.

Update: On Friday October 25th, Water Polo secured the InterAc Championship with a historic home win against Penn Charter.