Artist of the Issue: Amir Webb ’17

From cartoons to the streets of Philadelphia, Webb finds inspiration for his artwork in all aspects of his life.

You may know about Amir Webb from his NFL rankings on the LC walls, but grading pro quarterbacks isn’t his only talent.

Amir Webb grew up and currently resides in West Philadelphia, PA. Before coming to Malvern for freshman year, he attended Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament in Philadelphia from kindergarten to eighth grade.

Webb said that drawing and art has always played a large role in his life.

He’s been drawing and painting for as long as he can remember. He recalls sketching cartoon characters as soon as he was able to pick up a pencil.

“[Drawing] has always come naturally to me,” Webb said. “I’ve always enjoyed it.”

Webb believes that art gives him an opportunity to analyze things and really get a feel for what they are.

Webb said that what he sees in his daily life is a large part of his inspiration for his artwork. “I’ll be walking around in the city seeing different streets, different parks, and it just kind of clicks,” he said.

Webb credits his best drawings as those of “Eagles’ greats,” including Brian Dawkins, Reggie White, and LeSean McCoy (who currently plays for the Bills: “Thank you Chip,” he said).

Webb has brought this artistic passion and ability to the Malvern community in many ways.

He has taken the Studio Art course each of his four years, is a member of the National Art Society, and has been a part of every Malvern Theatre Society (MTS) production that has been performed during his time here. He is currently Stage Crew Manager for MTS.

Webb is looking to keep art very prevalent in his life at college and beyond. He plans to study architecture.

Some of Webb’s other hobbies and passions include playing football and watching the 76ers. He deems himself the “best corner in the game and a very dangerous receiver in the [Malvern] intramural league.”

His favorite class this year, aside from Studio Art, is Government with Mrs. Harriet Lappas.

For this article, Webb has also agreed to reveal his ranking of the top five quarterbacks in the NFL to share with the Malvern community. They are as follows: Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford

During his career at Malvern, Webb has contributed a lot to the art department, and he looks to solidify his legacy through his artwork in his final months on campus.