Christian Service beyond the mandatory

Editorial Board provides some holiday perspectives on how service should go beyond Christian Service weekends

The service weekends have come and gone. Friars have traveled to Olde City to paint bowls alongside our brothers at the Bethesda Project, to Camden to better understand the life of the poor, and to the far reaches of Antarctica to understand the mysticism of MECO.

Sometimes these weekends roll around with a sense of dread. Being away from your phone, TV, and computer for days at a time can seem tedious. Beforehand, groans of “there’s no point of going” can be heard, but almost every year something different is heard when Malvernians return.

By the time students are seniors and they have “seen it all” when it comes to what the Christian service program has to offer, they say things like Matt Magargee, “I’m glad its mandatory because it got me to reach out.” Brendan Hallinan agrees, saying, “[The program is] living the mission of a Catholic school.”

Looking back on his experiences, Anthony Abron, although being reluctant beforehand says, “Don’t come to judgements before you experience everything.”

As students, we are pushed to step outside our comfort zones, into the world of serving others. As Pope Francis has said, we need to “make a mess”, to listen to our Christian teachings and make a noticeable difference in the world.

Over and over students laud the impeccable Christian service program we have here. We start as freshmen, introduced to the idea of service. Then we dip our toes in the water by spending a night at St. Augustines. Junior year we truly immerse ourselves in a weekend of solidarity. We have a chance to truly understand service through the junior service trips and the spirit and understanding of service all culminates on your MECO weekends. Mr. Legner has orchestrated the program like a well-written novel, building the suspense to a magnificent crescendo.

The amazing thing is that the novel doesn’t end on those three weekends. As students trying to act in the spirit of Christ’s service to others, we have the calling to continue to let our light shine in other service opportunities.

The opportunities for service are endless. Here at Malvern we see it everywhere. Dr. Fry decorating St. Rita’s because of a previous lack of decorations is just one example. In this season of giving we had the opportunity to serve those afflicted or affected by HIV/AIDS at the Best Nest Christmas party. Midnight Run approaches for seniors. On January 21, Malvern hosts Empty Bowls, another way to give back to the community that has treated us so well.

There are so many opportunities, large and small, to do service at Malvern. Even the smallest gesture, holding the door or saying hello, can be an act of service. If we can perform just one small act of kindness a day in the spirit of Christmas, we will build a habit that lasts a lifetime. You have given three weekends already, Malvern. Yet we can (should) always give more, so continue to find service in the tiniest moments and the grandest gestures, and if we do that Christmas will really come every day.