Malvern’s Take on the Solar Eclipse

On April 8th, there was a once-in-forty-year event happening.  Malvern was experiencing a Solar Eclipse. A solar eclipse happens when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth for a short period of time. The path of totality is when observers of the eclipse can take off their glasses. Many students gathered outside of their classrooms to observe the solar eclipse as it happened. You could feel the excitement rising as the eclipse became more and more visible. Teachers and students alike were all enjoying themselves. 

I was lucky to hear from Mrs. Trexler about her experience with the solar eclipse. She teaches an 8th grade science class. She held a class talking about the solar eclipse, telling students about protecting their eyes and facts about the eclipse. Her goal of the class was to make sure everyone in the classroom was prepared and to get a better understanding of why it was occurring. She ended the class with a fun review game. 

I also asked Mrs. Trexler if she was excited about going into the solar eclipse. She said, “I was very excited about the eclipse.” She added that she would have loved to drive to the path of totality to experience the solar eclipse in full fruition.  Finally, I asked Mrs. Trexler about the last time she remembered a solar eclipse happening at Malvern, and she responded by saying, “I remember making a pinhole camera and viewing the eclipse on campus in 2017. 

I also interviewed Mikey Holloway, about how he felt about the solar eclipse. Mikey said he was really excited about the eclipse because it was something that doesn’t usually happen. He was excited to watch the eclipse with all his Friar Brothers on Malvern’s campus. Mikey was really intrigued when the eclipse started to occur. I asked if he remembered his first solar eclipse, and he explained to me that he was on the side of the road with his family. They wore solar eclipse glasses and they all had a good time.

I also had time during the solar eclipse to talk to Ryan Colclaser, who is also in 8th grade, about his day. Ryan explained to me that he was extremely excited about the eclipse and he wanted to take full advantage of the experience. Ryan wanted to take it all in as it is a surreal moment. I also asked him if he remembers his first eclipse. Ryan said he and his dad made a pinhole camera together and they were able to view the eclipse safely. 

In conclusion, the solar eclipse was an exciting and unforgettable day for most. The eclipse brought students from the middle and upper school together to bond over such a unique occurrence. Teachers and students all had smiles on their faces and you could see the excitement and brotherhood throughout. The eclipse will leave a lasting impression on all those who viewed  the eclipse on campus, as it will remain with them for years to come.