Artist of the Issue: Matt Pichola ’16

picholaJunior Matt Pichola talks about his involvement with Graphic Design and plans to start his own business.

Where are you from?
    Chester Springs, Pennsylvania

Where did you go to grade school?
    Owen J. Roberts

What are you involved in at Malvern?
    Ice Hockey. I sort of consider myself involved with the Blackfriar Chronicle because I do a lot of graphic design work, but not technically [a part of it].

What are your other hobbies?
    A lot of hockey. Other than that, it’s just hanging out. I enjoy nature.

How did you get involved with graphic design?
    When I was in fifth or sixth grade, I just randomly started doing some sort of photoshop work because it seemed fun, and that’s how it started. Then I took Graphic Design I here, and that really started everything for me. I’ve been doing it ever since then.

What do you want to do with graphic design in the future?
    Hopefully, I actually plan on starting my own business. I have a few people who are on board with that.

What would the business do?
    I’m not one hundred percent sure on that yet. My dad owns a security business, so I might do something along those lines but with graphic design. It’s hard to make just a straight business for graphic design, but I think for the most part, that will be a big part of it.

Which work that you have made are you the most proud of?
    A lot of the work I’ve done this year for the Blackfriar Chronicle, I’ve been pretty proud of. Compared to last year and years before that, this year I really stepped up and did much more work and spent more time on it.

What’s a project that you’d most want to take on it the future?
    There’s a lot of projects that end up in cities that end up on the side of a bus or the side of those little things you go under for bus stops— just like anything that’s shown out in the city that a lot of people would see.

What are your goals for your senior year?
    I hope there’s a Graphic Design II course here. If not Ms. Plows and I spoke about me being her teacher’s assistant for one of her Graphic Design I classes. Hopefully, [I will] just get a lot of graphic design work in, commit to college for it, and see what’s in store for next year.