Malvern’s Featured Artist/Musician Jake Reber

This issue’s musician of the month is Senior and National Music Honor Society member Jake Reber, the Sax Man.

Q: What music class are you in and what instrument do you play?
    A: I’m in the Modern Jazz Ensemble and I play the alto saxophone.

Q: What has drawn you to play this instrument(s) for so long?
    A: In all sincerity I started playing the saxophone in fourth grade because I thought I would look cool. But what kept me to saxophone specifically was its unique sound. More generally, I’ve kept playing music all this time because of the creativity it allows you to have. You have the freedom to create any kind of sound you want that can evoke so many different emotions in every listener.

Q: Is there a specific kind of music you either enjoy playing or listening to?
    A: As clichéd as it sounds, I really will listen to any kind of music, but most of the time I listen to groups like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink 182, etc. When it comes to playing music, I really like songs that are fun to play. There really isn’t a specific type or anything, but I can usually tell from the first time we listen to a song we are going to play in the band whether or not I’m going to like it.

Q: Do you have any advice for aspiring musicians at Malvern?
    A: Don’t be overwhelmed, even though it’s very easy to be. A lot of the time you may find yourself lost in a song or having difficulty with a particular line, but these difficulties will not last long. If you aren’t playing an instrument and think you may want to, I highly encourage you to do so. It’s an incredibly fun and rewarding experience to be able to listen to a song that you helped create.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to share with the readers?
    A: I really do think it’s incredible that a piece of music that is something so concrete can cause such abstract emotions. Music gives you the freedom to create any kind of sound you want and is really such a pleasant part of life. Thanks for allowing me to talk about something I’m so passionate about!