National Art Honor Society Updates

“Grab the bull by the horns” has been the motto of the National Art Honor Society this year. This saying has been taken to heart by all members of NAHS and it truly shows in their involvement thus far. NAHS is making an effort to make art more relevant on campus and is doing so in more ways than one.

At the beginning of the year, Mr. Talbot came to the NAHS in need of decoration for his new office. Each member was given an open ended quote and the task to create a piece that represents it. This allowed for pieces from all ends of the spectrum (Ceramics, Graphic Design, Studio Art, etc.). Upon completion, the artwork was presented to Mr. Talbot for use in his office. Many of his quotes were taken in creative ways he hadn’t imagined. Overall he is very pleased with the results and is excited to hang the work.

The club also made it presence felt during the homecoming football game. A few inspired seniors painted the faces of many Malvern faithful, young and old. Everything from Footballs to MPs to Pandas were available to anyone free of charge. The table was a hit as it provided an outlet for those who weren’t very interested in the game.

NAHS will see its next action November 9 when the members take on Philadelphia for the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show. This event features nearly 200 juried artists from around the world, exhibiting their work in ceramics, wood, fibers, glass, metals, and other media. A highlight of the trip is a morning stop at the Reading Terminal Market for an early lunch.

The club has been off to a hot start and plans to carry the momentum throughout the year. Are you interested in becoming a member of NAHS? Our applications will become available in December. Please contact our president, Matt Cornell ’13, for more information.