Local burglary results in security precautions

An early morning burglary at Chester County Outdoors on Lancaster Avenue resulted in some Chester County schools, including Malvern Prep, taking security precautions this morning.

CBSPhilly reported that the burglary happened at around 5:11 a.m. According to 6ABC, two suspects were arrested. East Whiteland Township police apprehended one suspect, but another suspect was still at large as the school day began. 

Location of robbery: Chester County Outdoors 

[perfectpullquote align=”right” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]According to Director of Safety and Security Mr. Steve Lestrange, Malvern Prep is on target to have an ID lock system on every building on campus by the start of the 2018-2019 school year. Many students have noticed the installation of ID locks on buildings around campus. [/perfectpullquote]

Malvern Prep responded with a restrictive movement protocol, according to an email sent to students and parents after the incident. The school also stationed a security person at one door in each building for students to enter and exit, according to the email. Some students found themselves locked out of their regular entrances before they could reach their homerooms.

At around 9:10 a.m., Dean of Students Mr. Tim Dougherty announced over the loudspeakers that students would not be able to leave their current locations at the end of first period, and that all students would stay there for the duration of Community Time.

Before the end of first period, the second suspect was apprehended.At 9 a.m., Villa Maria Academy tweeted that the matter had been resolved by local police and their campus was no longer on lockdown. At around 9:15 a.m., Dougherty announced that students were allowed to move freely around the campus. 

Malvern students weren’t notified about the incident until the campus update email was released at around 9:30 a.m., although many students noticed earlier social media updates about lockdowns and precautions from friends at other area high schools.

We have been informed by our local police that there was a burglary at the local gun shop. One suspect is at large and…

Posted by Great Valley School District on Tuesday, May 15, 2018

East Whiteland Township Police shared a press release describing the incident and stated the they are currently investigating the crime. CBSPhilly reported that police recovered 24 guns from the two suspects.