Malvern Prep Launches Middle School Micro Courses

The Middle School has offered microcourses for students.

The Middle School has now given an opportunity for students to participate in some Microcourses. One course that has already been offered is Fly Fishing. This course was taught by Grey Graham and the students met at the Black Friar Pond.

Many Middle School students have taken the opportunity to participate in these clubs. One of these students was Matthew Hagman, Class of ‘28. Matthew loved the Fly Fishing course, saying, “ I really enjoyed learning how to cast and [learning about] different prey and different fish.”

When asked about how these courses will impact the Middle School Community, Mrs. Type stated, “The micro courses are an opportunity for students to experience learning outside of the classroom. It gives students an opportunity to explore different ways of learning while maybe trying something new.” She also added, “The idea is that they may open students up to passions they did not realize they might have.”

The school as of now is planning to offer three different micro courses; the first one, Learning on the Fly: The Ecology of Fly Fishing is offered on Fridays in October. Moneyball, a sports data analysis micro course, will be offered in November, and we have an investment micro course still in the planning stages.”

The Middle School teachers, in particular Mrs. Tyoe, stated this as the reason for why they brought these opportunities down to the middle school, “I met with Mrs. Lappas last year because I wanted to add a learning piece into middle school stock market club, and that’s where the idea for the investment micro course came from. The high school-led micro courses are a result of these students doing an independent study on something they are passionate about and wanting to share it with others.”

Students can see Mrs. Tyoe if they have any other ideas for micro courses they would like to see. Let her know, and you can try to implement them.