What is the Reverse C Schedule?

All the new changes this year have drawn lots of attention, but the new Reverse “C” Schedule has garnered a large amount of buzz. The major addition this new schedule brings is a later start to the school day. Homeroom will begin at 9:05, and the day will end at 3:00 in the afternoon.

Who decided on this new schedule change, especially after not having one for so long?

“Mr. Talbot, Mr. Algeo, Mr. Sillup, Mr. Whitney, and myself made the decision and endorse it,” said Mr. Steve Valyo, Assistant Head of Upper School.

But those were not the only supporters. “The faculty have also endorsed the idea,” Valyo said.

According to Mr. Valyo, the Reverse “C” Schedule provides time for professional development for faculty and teachers who have conflicts after school due to extra duties.  In addition, it allows time for the school to carry out its Strategic Vision “without cutting into too much classroom instructional time,” he said.

Such a large variation to the normal routine could cause problems such as transportation to school, late lunches, and too little class time. As a result, this year is a trial to be evaluated at the end of the year by students, faculty, and parents.

Not only could the Reverse “C” be permanent, but other changes could be coming soon. “We are having a consultant come in October to assess our entire schedule,” says Mr. Valyo. This is in hopes of proposing a schedule that is able to be utilized by the middle school and high school.

For the Reverse “C” Schedule, which happens once a month, students have two options: arrive at school for homeroom at 9:05 or arrive at the regular time (or anytime before homeroom).

The first option is appealing for those who enjoy the peace of sleeping in. An extra hour of sleep has huge benefits in the middle of the week.  However, the second option is the more productive one.

Before school, there will be four areas open for student use: the Learning Commons, the Strength and Conditioning Center, one of the gyms, and Stewart Hall.  Students can get homework finished, work out, or even play in a gym before school.

With forty-minute periods, a fifteen minute break, and a 9:05 homeroom, many people in the Malvern community are eager to see what happens during the first Reverse “C” Schedule on September 25.