Ryan Traynor Commits to Christopher Newport University

Ryan Traynor ‘24, over the summer, announced his commitment to Christopher Newport University, in Newport News, Virginia, to continue his lacrosse and academic career
Curtesy of Ryan Traynor

Ryan Traynor: Christopher Newport University Lacrosse

Ryan Traynor experienced a very exciting recruiting process throughout high school. Traynor dedicated lots of time during the school year and outside of school to pursue his lacrosse career in college. He spent his summers playing with the Freedom Lacrosse Club, his springs with Malvern Prep’s Varsity Lacrosse program his sophomore and junior year, and also played with the PennLax All Stars Box Lacrosse program during the winter. 

“As a Malvern student, the recruiting process was made very simple. With the help from coaches and teachers throughout the whole process, it made my life very easy when reaching out to school/coaches,” Traynor said. 

The impact of being a part of the Malvern community was a major benefit during Traynor’s recruiting process. He  embraced and appreciated the support from his brothers, coaches, teachers, and the rest of the Malvern community. Traynor is very excited to continue his lacrosse career collegiately because of the impact lacrosse has had on his entire life.

“I got started at lacrosse basically when I was born. I was born with a Lacrosse stick in my hand. My dad played at the collegiate and professional level and my mom played in college as well,” Traynor said, being the son of a Randolph Macon alumnus (Dad) and Loyola Maryland (Mom) alumna.

The Malvern culture was very important for him throughout his recruiting process. He wanted to choose a school that made him feel comfortable, similar to Malvern.

“One main thing that concluded my decision to commit to Christopher Newport University was the culture on campus. As soon as I stepped foot on campus, it felt like it was home. They gave me a new sense of being like a bigger Malvern, which is exactly what I was looking for,” Traynor said.

Traynor is very anxious to begin his career at Christopher Newport. He’s ready to experience a higher compete level on the field and a new environment in the classroom.

At the end of this interview, Traynor gave a little advice towards his Malvern brothers on their recruiting process.

“One piece of advice I will give to others during the recruiting process is to enjoy it. It’s not always fun, but everyone ends up where they’re meant to be. Another piece of advice would be don’t rush your decision because you never know what might pop up,” Traynor said.