Middle School Musical

Malvern Prep’s Middle School presents, “The Wizard of Oz.”

Photo: R. Colameco

This year Malvern’s middle school will be presenting, The Wizard of Oz, a story of how young Dorothy Gale and her dog are swept away by a tornado from their Kansas farm to the magical Land of Oz, and embark on a journey with three new friends to see the Wizard, who can return her to her home and fulfill the others’ wishes. 

Since October many students have been rehearsing and working hard for their show on that has been rescheduled from January 14 and 15th to January 20th and 21st

“They had auditions in October,” said Production Assistant, Dr. Dorothy Sayers. “Once the high school play finished in early November, they’ve been working really nonstop until now. It’s been really strong since the first weekend in November.”

This year, there is a mix of 38 students from multiple middle schools that are all working together. 

“We have our Malvern students and some of the girls are from Villa Maria Lower School, Notre Dame, some kids from St. Pat’s, and someone who’s from Episcopal, Usually, we just have Villa, Notre Dame, and Malvern, but this year we have multiple schools that became part of it. Our director is a Villa Maria Lower School teacher, she knows our program because she was in it, she now teaches and came back to direct.”

All actors are able to connect with other students from different schools through the play.

“I made a good friend from St. Pat’s that I probably wouldn’t have without the play,” Ethan Gordon ’26 said. 

Since the play was canceled last year when Gordon was in 7th grade, he was excited to participate again this year with a bigger role. 

Photo: R. Colameco

“I did a play back when I was in sixth grade, but I really didn’t have a big role, so I wanted to do more,” Gordon said. “When I was in seventh grade we didn’t have the play, so this year I really wanted to do it again. My role is Hickory, I feel like I have more responsibility and representation this year.”

The directors helped Gordon and the other actors feel comfortable while acting.

“They make it easier to have confidence in yourself, if you mess up you don’t feel embarrassed,” Gordon said. 

Although the play has been rescheduled already due to COVID, the teachers and cast have been working hard to make sure the play is able to happen this year. 

“I think that they’re doing an excellent job, even with some bumps in the road with things that are happening just with COVID, breaks, and that kind of stuff. The kids have still been working really hard,” Sayers said. 

Malvern’s Middle School musical will be shown on January 20th and 21st. The cast is very excited to be performing again, after missing last year, and they hope you come to show your support.